Named after Andrew 'Banjo' Paterson (1864–1941), Australian author and poet. There is also conjecture that the division was first named in 1947 after Colonel William Paterson 1755–1810 after whom the town and river within the division were named.
1 123 sq km
Paterson extends from Neath, Kurri Kurri and Williamtown in the south, along the Hunter River and Port Stephens in the north and along the Hunter Expressway to the west. The main towns include Kurri Kurri, Maitland, Medowie, Neath, Nelson Bay, Raymond Terrace and Williamtown.
Products/industries of the area:
Beef and dairy cattle, mixed farming, maize, fishing and oyster farming, general engineering, transport, construction, tourism and recreational industries.
1947/1949 (Division was abolished in 1984 and re-established at the 1992 redistribution.)
Provincial – outside capital cities, but with a majority of enrolment in major provincial cities.
The AEC acknowledges the Traditional Owners of country throughout Australia and recognises their continuing connection to land, waters, culture and community. We pay our respects to Elders past, present and emerging.