2013 federal election: Profile of the electoral division of Higgins (Vic)
Updated: 4 September 2013
- Current, boundary gazetted 24 December 2010.
- AEC Divisional Office:
- Divisional Office contact details
- Maps & GIS data:
- A4 map of the Division of Higgins (2010) [PDF 1.5MB]
Map of the Division of Higgins (2010) [PDF 15.8MB]
Download GIS data
- Name Derivation:
- Named after Henry Higgins 1851–1929, Member of the House of Representatives 1901–06, Justice of the High Court 1906–29 and President of the new Commonwealth Conciliation and Arbitration Court 1907–21.
- Area and Location Description:
- The Division of Higgins is located in Melbourne's south-eastern suburbs. It covers an area of approximately 40 sq km from Hughesdale in the south-east, South Yarra and Toorak in the north-west, Windsor in the south-west and Ashburton and Glen Iris in the east. The main suburbs include Armadale, Ashburton, Kooyong, Malvern, Malvern East, Prahran and Toorak along with parts of Carnegie, Glen Iris, Hughesdale, Murrumbeena, South Yarra and Windsor.
- Products/Industries of the Area:
- The division is mainly residential, with retail and commercial interests in a number of suburbs.
- First Proclaimed/Election:
- Demographic Rating:
- Inner Metropolitan
- O'Dwyer, K (LP) 2009–
Costello, P (LP) 1990–2009
Shipton, R F (LP) 1975–1990
Gorton, J G (LP/IND) 1968–1975
Holt, H E (LP) 1949–1967
- Current Member Details:
- Please refer to the Parliament of Australia website
- Further information:
- 2010 federal election – House of Representatives results for Higgins
2009 by-election – Results for Higgins
2007 federal election – House of Representatives results for Higgins
2004 federal election – House of Representatives results for Higgins
2010 divisional profile
For supporting information, see Party codes, demographic ratings and seat status.