Lodge a referendum return
Referendum returns by referendum entities and referendum donors can be prepared and lodged online through the eReturns portal.
Due date for lodging referendum returns for the 2023 referendum:
Note: A financial disclosure entity will not be able to use their existing eReturns account for referendum returns - a new eReturns account must be created for lodgement of referendum returns.
eReturns account creation
There are three ways that an eReturns account can be created:
- The AEC may contact you to advise that an eReturns account, with a username and one-time password, has been created for you to access the eReturns portal.
- Other referendum entities and donors can either:
- create an eReturns account themselves, or
- contact the AEC to discuss creating an account and provide information so the AEC can create the account.
Details required to create an account
The following details are required to create an eReturns account:
- Lodging officer/your details: name, capacity or position (Eg, company secretary or ‘self’ for individual), address, email and phone.
- If you create your own account, you will need to provide a user name and a one-time password for set up.
In addition, the following details are required to create an eReturns account for an organisation:
- Organisation name, ABN/ACN and business address.
Note: A financial disclosure entity will not be able to use their existing eReturns account - a new eReturns account must be created for referendum returns.
Tips on accessing eReturns
- In order to access eReturns you need to provide a valid email address. This email is used to identify you as an eReturns user.
- After the initial sign‑up process, eReturns will send a confirmation to your nominated email address. Click on the link in the email before you lodge your return or log back into eReturns. (If you cannot find an email from eReturns, check your junk mail/spam folder.)
- The one-time password will need to be changed after account confirmation.
- The password is case sensitive, must be at least 8 characters long and have at least one letter and one number. Do not include any special symbols.
- For best results, use an up-to-date version of Chrome, Safari or Firefox.
Completing a return
The eReturns portal will provide you with all the information you need to prepare and lodge your return online.
Amending a return
A request may be made by you to the AEC (or may be made by the AEC to you) seeking amendment of a return that has been lodged and subsequently found to be incomplete or incorrect. An amendment can be lodged through eReturns.
If you need additional information, assistance or to obtain a username and one-time password, please contact the Disclosure helpdesk.
Ph: 02 6271 4552
Updated: 14 November 2023