How to vote while overseas

Updated: 14 August 2017

Australian Marriage Law Postal Survey

The Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) is conducting the Australian Marriage Law Postal Survey. Information regarding participation in the survey for Australians overseas is available on the ABS website.

For all information or enquiries regarding the survey please call the ABS on +61 2 6252 5262 from 8am to 8pm (Australian time) seven days a week.

Contact the AEC from overseas

+61 2 6113 4777 or +61 2 6160 2600

If you wish to vote in the federal election while overseas you must be enrolled to vote.

How do I vote in person?

If you are currently enrolled, you can vote in person at an overseas voting centre.

Overseas voting centres are established at Australian Embassies, Consulates and High Commissions in the lead up to a federal election.

How do I vote by post?

After an election is announced, you can apply for a postal vote online, or complete a postal vote application form.

I am unable to vote, what should I do?

If you are unable to vote you should complete and submit an Overseas Notification form [PDF 55KB].

If you do not inform the AEC, we will write to you asking you to explain why you did not vote. If you explain you were overseas on election day, you will not be fined.

Can I vote online?

No, you cannot vote online.

See also