What you need to know about the new electoral divisions taking effect

Updated: 7 February 2017

New electoral divisions in the Northern Territory came into effect from Tuesday 7 February 2017.

Who represents me now?

Members of the House of Representatives will not represent the new electoral divisions until after a writ is issued for a general election. The member who was elected at the previous general election or by-election, in the electoral division you voted in at that time, is still your local member.

When do the new electoral boundaries apply?

While the new names and boundaries of electoral divisions will be in place from Tuesday 7 February 2017, elections will not be contested on these new electoral boundaries until a writ is issued for a general election following the expiry or dissolution of the House of Representatives.

Do I need to do anything to change my electoral division?

You do not need to take any action if your electoral division has changed as the result of a redistribution. The AEC will:

  • ¬Étransfer you to the new electoral roll for your new electoral division, and
  • ¬Énotify you that your electoral division has changed.

How long will the new electoral divisions apply?

The new electoral divisions will apply until the determination of the next redistribution in the Northern Territory. If the Northern Territory's entitlement remains at two members of the House of Representatives, it will likely be seven years until the next federal redistribution. See: When is the next redistribution of my state or territory due?

On which electoral boundaries would a by-election be contested?

By-elections are conducted using the electoral boundaries which existed prior to the determination of the redistribution.

How do I find out if my electoral division has changed?

You can check your enrolment online. For privacy reasons, your electoral enrolment will only be confirmed if the details you enter are an exact match to your details on the electoral roll.

Alternatively, you can contact the AEC.

Do I need to know my electoral division to enrol or update my enrolment details?

No, all you need to do is provide the details of your residential address and the AEC will tell you which electoral division you are enrolled for. You can enrol online or pick up an enrolment form at any AEC office or Australia Post outlet.

Where can I find information about the new electoral divisions?

Maps and descriptions of the new electoral divisions are now available. Geospatial data is also now available.

Where can I find information about the electoral divisions which applied at the 2016 election?

Maps and descriptions of previous electoral divisions are available for your information.

Back to top