Updated: 8 September 2016
Disclosure Legislative Reference Guide
Part XI, ss.123-141 of the Act, deals with registration of political parties. The following additional sections underpin the Commonwealth party registration scheme:
- ss.4, 4C – Definitions which apply to Part XI.
- s. 90B – Information on Rolls and certified lists of voters to be provided to particular people and organisations – Who is eligible to access copies of the Electoral Roll, and under which circumstances they are allowed access.
- s. 166 – Mode of nomination – Method for nomination for both independent and party-endorsed candidates.
- s. 167 – To whom nominations made – Which officers can accept and process nominations. Different officers are responsible for different types of nominations.
- s. 169 – Notification of party endorsement – Allows the registered officer of a party to apply for the party's name or abbreviation to be printed on the ballot paper.
- s. 189A – Access to electronic list of postal vote applicants – Who is eligible to access a list of postal vote applicants, and under which circumstances they are allowed access.
- s. 210A – Form of party name on ballot papers – Whether a party wishes to display its full name or its registered abbreviation on ballot papers.
- s. 214 – Printing of political party names etc. on ballot papers – Allows the full name or registered abbreviation of a political party to be printed next to their endorsed candidates' names on the ballot paper. Also allows for the word 'Independent' to be printed next to an individual candidate's name in conjunction with s. 169A.
- s. 214A – Printing of party logos on ballot papers – Allows the logo of a political party to be printed adjacent to their endorsed candidates' names on House of Representatives ballot papers. For Senate groups the logo can be printed adjacent to the square that carries the party's name 'above the line' on the ballot paper (or up to two party logos where it is a jointly endorsed Senate group).
- ss. 294-302 (Part XX, Division 3) – Election Funding – Outlines the requirements for receiving election funding from the Electoral Commission, and how the funding is to be paid.